Re: Debian Etch on Samsung 164UX/BX Alpha

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 01:14:38PM +0100, Roman Hirsch wrote:
> I have Samsung 164UX/BX Alpha (ruffian) with old RedHat 6.2 on it.
> On all other computers i I have Debian.
>
> I want to install Debian on this alpha computer.
>
> There is one big problem:
>
> I found in the net that this alpha has only ARCBIOS (no SRM console  :( ).

No it doesn't have ARC, it has ARCSBIOS (note the S).  I have two of
them and I still haven't managed to get them to boot anything (the last
debian version to support installing on them was woody and I can't get
it to boot on them either).  They need a special version of milo and
linload (to load milo) to do anything.  Supposedly if you can get it
booted, you can upgrade to current debian and use it.

> And somthing like that on official debian pages:
>
> "GNU/Linux is the only operating system on Alpha that can be booted from
> both console types, but Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 only supports booting on
> SRM-based systems. If you have an Alpha for which no version of SRM is
> available, if you will be dual-booting the system with Windows NT, or if
> your boot device requires ARC console support for BIOS initialization,
> you will not be able to use the Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 installer. You can
> still run Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 on such systems by using other install
> media; for instance, you can install Debian woody with MILO and upgrade.
> RedHat boots via milo on small MS-DOS partition... "
>
> Have you any ideas how to install Etch on APC 164UX/BX?
> Is the woody with milo one way to do it?
> (there is a problem to download woody iso images)

You can't boot from CD on those.  Floppy and HD only.  FAT filesystem
only too.  May as well net install woody if that is still posible (sould
be on the debian archive server).

I will put up a web page with instructions if I ever get mine to work.

--
Len Sorensen