Re: Debian: removal of libffm (#399354): info / maintainer / work needed

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 15:50 +0930, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> libffm (fast math library for alpha) may be removed from Debian:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/399354
>
> Is it useful to have libffm on alpha? Is the libm from glibc 2.7 slower
> than the routines from libffm? If so, perhaps they should be ported to
> and merged into glibc? Is there anyone with alpha assembly skills who
> would like to attempt this task?

The feature of libffm that I used is its vectorized operations like
dsqrtv and dsqrtiv (double precision inverse square root, vectorized)
which can run just in a few clocks per operation.  This was great for
illuminator's semi-transparent software rendering engine, which is why I
stepped up to maintain it.  But it's not part of glibc, and probably
won't be.

If there are other useful parts, they've probably made their way into
glibc libm in the years since they were discussed on axp-list@redhat.com

Too bad my alpha died or I'd still keep it up. :-(

> Adam, do you still intend to remove libffm from the illuminator deps?

D'oh!  Yes, I do.  Will take care of this soon.

Cheers,
-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/