Re: Re: S3 Trio64 support

On Mon 05 Nov 2007, Gary Lee Phillips wrote:

> There was a commercially available driver, but it wasn't open source
> and had a $100 licensing fee. I remember that very specifically. I was
> irritated because IBM was selling machines with Linux (RedHat)
> preinstalled, yet they had the Matrox card in them and no driver.
> Typical.

In http://xfree.org/3.3.6/MGA.html , dated December 1998, the support
for the Matrox is described; in one of the underlying pages:

* Makes extensive use of the graphics accelerator. This server is very
  well accelerated, and is one of the fastest XFree86 X servers.

That's exactly what I remember.

Paul Slootman