Kernel compilation problem

Hello,

I have a DigitalServer 7305 (Rawhide) and want to compile a new kernel
2.6.20.3.

I use gcc 4.1.1 and get the following warnings:

dpkg-architecture: warning: Unknown gcc system type
alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu, falling back to default (native compilation)
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type alpha-linux does not
match gcc system type alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu.

However the kernel is build, my be not optimal.
The same errror I get if I gererate an initrd image.

I feel that the new kernel will run with lower perfomance?

How can I resolve?

StP