RE: prctl on alpha

> > I have another package self-compiled from source by downloading the
> source
> > package and building it: unrar - I use it since ever on alphy for
> unpacking
> > downloaded rar files, no corrupt extracts, no crashes. Why is this
> package
> > not available on alpha, too?
>
> Because non-free is not autobuilt except in cases that the maintainer has
> determined it's acceptable to do so and notifies the experimental/non-free
> autobuilding team.

OK, so I will ask the maintainer in a bug report...

> > By the way I have a small problem:
> > I have installed libc6.1 and others from experimental (2.3.999), because
> of
> > the pthread problem (fixed by NPTL). But whenever I try to build a
> package
> > it works correctly and when installing the deb file it says that there
> are
> > unmet dependencies: libc-6.1 VERSION 2.4-0 (????)
>
> > How can I fix this somewhere in dpkg and friends? The problem is that
> > 2.3.999 of glibc is in reality 2.4. But why does it make a dependency to
> > this version and not the real package version?
>
> It's a bug in the experimental glibc package, maybe you could file a bug
> report and get the glibc maintainers to fix this?

I do not think this is needed, because the status of experimental is 2.5 now
and there everything is OK. The only problem is, that 2.5 is not yet build
for alpha (don't know why, Aurelien fixed the build of 2.5 on my machine
because he did not have a alpha developer box). I have a 2.5 deb on my
machine but I do not want to install it, because I am not sure that it works
correctly.

> > I do not want to change the experimental package (it can have bugs,
> sure),
> > but how can I fix this on my machine that apt-get and dpkg do not
> complain
> > all the time? What do I have to change in the package library or the
> build
> > system?
>
> The culprit file is /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.1.shlibs, but that's part of
> the package and will get overwritten with every update.

Thank you. I changed that file and now the .debs install correctly. It is no
problem, because it will not update libc automatically (manually installed
from experimental) and I will not do it as long it works. And the next
version would be the experimental 2.5!

Uwe