Re: starfire NIC driver on alpha

Hi Bob,

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 04:47:39PM -0800, Bob Lindell wrote:
> I use Adaptec quad NICs in my 3 alphas.  I submitted a bug about 2
> years ago with a simple patch to the starfire driver to make it work
> on the alpha.  Basically, a "|| defined (__alpha__)" needs to be
> added to an expression in the driver code.  The submiited bug is
> #305330.  Could this get into etch?  Without it, I don't have a
> network when I do an install and I have to recompile the starfire
> driver and update it before I can get the machine back on the network
> and complete any network based package installation.

Is it certain that this bug affects 2.6.18?  Have you tested your patch
against the current etch kernel, to be sure that it's still applicable?
Certainly, the kernel message you quoted is no longer present in the source.

Norbert said he was going to contact the upstream maintainer of the driver,
but there's no information about what came of that.  Committing the patch to
the Debian tree is easy enough, but I'm hesitant to do that without more
information.