Re: No SRM console on reboot?

   ON my multia it started happening after I was trying to install sarge
(with a 2.4.27-3 kernel) by debootstrap on my internal drive from etch
with a 2.6.18-4 kernel installed on my external drive. It started after
trying to boot the new sarge install, which fails, but now continues to
do the same thing even tho booting the etch install.
   Right now I'm trying a etch install on the internal drive by netboot,
we'll see if that changes anything.

Jay Estabrook wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 04:54:09PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Since the kernel changes the PCI bus and controller settings from what
>>> SRM set, it attempts to save the original settings and restore them
>>> when gracefully (non-crash) shutting down. If it doesn't get it right,
>>> ie doesn't restore everything necessary, this problem could happen.
>> IIRC, 2.4.x did do that, but the code was removed in the early 2.6.x
>> timeframe. I didn't check, but was it added again?
>
> Sigh...
>
> There IS such code in SOME of the core-logic support, but unfortunately,
> you're right about the LCA support - it does NOT have that stuff...
>
> Since I'd been doing most of my work in TITAN/TSUNAMI/T2 recently, I
> was deluded into thinking it was throughout... :-(
>
> Sorry; I'll see what it might take...
>
>  --Jay++

> Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
> Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
> 110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com

Harmon Seaver