Re: GCL/maxima/axiom/acl2, denormalized floats, and alpha

On Wed October 18 2006 14:03, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com> writes:
> > Casting the smallest denormalized shortfloat to a double in a function
> > argument is destroying the number in the callee.  Do you know of a
> > workaround?
>
> What kind of machine is this on? Might also be a kernel bug. Do you
> have a stand-alone testcase?

Actually, that's a really good point.

Upon reading it, I recalled discovering, and posting to this list a while ago,
that the kernel's denormalized number fixup for EV56 and earlier CPUs had
been broken in later kernels.

(see the thread "Kernel IEEE Math Completion (everything is zeroed!?!)"
at "http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2006/06/";)

That long and the short is that we figured out that it was busted somewhere
between 2.4.27 and 2.6.16, but no solutions were purposed.

Later!  -T

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe at uwo.ca -- MC-)
 Computer Engineer                          Dept. of Applied Mathematics,