Clarification on upgrade order for etch, was: Re: rageircd ftbfs on alpha

Hello,
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 12:48:09PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> epoll is specific to Linux 2.6.  You should not expect it to be available on
> buildds for *any* architecture (except amd64) until after the release of
> etch; packages must be able to build on buildds running in a chroot against
> the previous stable release, and they must install and run when installed
> against the previous stable release to support partial upgrades.

Is this official RM policy? I ask, because some packages[1] already
dropped 2.4 support *now* stating that Etch will not support 2.4 and
simply provide a README.Debian (IIRC).

It should be clear if users need to update to 2.6 *before* starting
the upgrade to Etch, or if they can update first to Etch but need to
upgrade the kernel afterwards.

Thanks for clarification.

Greetings

            Helge