Re: AlphaStation 500 installation

   Now this is really interesting. I've been having problems with my
multia, especially with the external scsi box and its cd drive. It has
a "in" and "out" scsi connector on the box, and I've got a terminator
plug on that, which used to be enough, I thought. So the cd drive (a
Mashita?) worked okay when I first was trying to install sarge, then
woody), but then I tried adding an old micropolis 1.7gb scsi drive,
and never have been able to get the multia to see both it and the cd
drive at the same time. One or the other, but not both, regardless of
what I set the scsi ids at.
   But even worse, after fooling around with this for awhile, I
started getting a lot of scsi errors when sarge is booted up, scsi bus
reset over and over, like maybe I damaged the scsi controller?
     Now, however, I'm wondering if it's a driver problem? I'm running
the 2.4.27 kernel.
This is a different scsi controller, of course, than you are talking
about below -- mine is the stock multia sym -- and I think it's the
sym-2.1.17a driver. I've also done a partial upgrade to etch, that is,
a "apt-get upgrade" not a dist-upgrade -- there was no room, which is
why I was trying to add an external drive.