Re: smp problems on AlphaServer 4100

--On Sunday, February 26, 2006 09:31:03 AM +0100 Marc Schlensog <fishtank@web.de> wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:55:16 -0800
Bill MacAllister <bill@macallister.grass-valley.ca.us> wrote:

[...]
Yes.  I have pretty much decided to purge the qLogic controllers
from
my Alpha/Linux systems.  I will use old NCR based cards, like an
Intraserver 4280, to boot from and Adaptec controllers for the bulk
of the disks.

Just wondering: What kind of Adaptec are you planning to put into
your box? IIRC, the ITI-4280 is a Dual-Channel UW-card, so using
anything short of an Adaptec 29160 wouldn't make much sense IMHO.
At least the 4280 is a rather behaving child, SRM- as well as linux-
wise :-)

Marc

Yes, you are exactly correct. Of course, my project has been more of a fire fight rather than careful analysis. So, I probably will not put any of the Adaptec cards that I have in the Alpha's and just wait until the school can afford something reasonable. Sort of sad to drop performance back, but stable first, fast later.

Bill