DEC Alpha Xfree86 video card what works?

I have installed Debian Linux v. 3.1 (sarge) for an Alpha computer system.  I am using a DEC Alpha motherboard 164-LX running at 533 MHZ.  I have tried using a Matrox Millennium II video card in both MGA and VGA modes and have been getting an xfree86 server crash saying that the "screen is not found".  I have also tried an older Trident video card running it in VGA mode with the same error.

I would like to know which video card is supported for a DEC Alpha by Debian Linux without having to modify the kernel?  I am sure that someone is out there who is actually running a system like mine with a working video card?  I would like to know the make and model of the card that you are using and the extent to which it works.

I am looking ahead for a reply that can be helpful to me in getting this system running in x-windows mode with both the KDE and Gnome desktops.