pthreads and zombies

Now that we're all ramping up Alpha support :-)

Does anyone have any linuxthreads experience.  I've been trying to track
down
the thread "zombie" issue on my own, but I'm no libc developer.

I'm somewhat lost in my debugging - I keep getting the impression that
certain
exiting pthreads never get their resources freed by the thread manager
(obvious, huh).
However, some threads do seem to do the "right" thing and have their
resources freed,
so there isn't a 1-to-1 correlation between threads threads that have exited
and zombies.

I'm wondering if somehow a thread that implicitly exits (via a return) isn't
hitting the
"pthread_exit" code whereas one that explicitly calls it does.

Has anyone else been looking at this?

...tom