Procedure to boot to 2.6.8

Greetings all,
	I run 2.4 on my Lx164 now.  I recently installed 2.6.8, but am
unclear on the proper procedure to boot to it.  I would like to boot to it
from the SRM console to test it, and once it works satisfactorily, set it as
the default boot.  I tried leaving the kernel where it is and imitating the
stock boot command with the new path.  It booted, but appeared to use the
wrong ATI video driver or something as the display was unreadable.  (It
appeared to be a tiny garbled window on a black screen.  I've seen windows
do the same thing on boot with an old ATI driver!)  I could not proceed, and
booted back to 2.4.  How should I proceed?  Pointing me to the correct Man
page or a website would be helpful if this is a common problem....

Thanks,
Bob