From: Peter 'p2' De Schrijver [mailto:p2@mind.be]
Sent: vendredi, 29. juillet 2005 10:13
To: Simon Brown
Cc: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: adding RAM to a XP1000

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:00:54PM +0000, Simon Brown wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to find 4 matching DIMMs to add to my XP1000 but with no
> luck. Show memory indicates that there is something in the slots but no
> memory is found. When it boots up there is a series of beeps but this
> is before anything appears on the screen, I think there are either 2 or
> three beeps. Is there any info anywhere as to what the beeps signify.
> I've got 128Mb (4x32Mb) in the other bank which works fine and I'm
> trying to add 1Gb (4x256).
>
> The DIMMs aren't identical, they are two pair, one from micron, one
> samsung. I'm wondering if I might be better off just buying 4 new DIMMs
> probably un buffered/ non ECC and chucking the other stuff?

AFAIK as I know the DIMMs have to be SDRAM, buffered with ECC. The original
DIMMs are 100Mhz SDRAM. I guess there are additional requirements wrt banks,
RAS/CAS organization and refresh page size, but I don't know those. I tried
256MB compaq 133Mhz buffered ECC SDRAM DIMMs and they didn't work either.
Please post your results :)

Thanks,

Peter (p2).