Re: New install on es45

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 03:57:05PM +1000, Samad, Alex wrote:
> Just got my hands on a es45 would like to install debian sarge3.1. I am
> new to alpha.

> I have downloaded the latest install cd.  I have got my serial console
> connected to the box - on serial 2

> I have placed the cd in the cdrive and ran from the srm prompt I am
> presuming

> boot DVA0 -flags 0

> its says it start to load, but I don't see any thing on the
> console.......

-flags 0 will tell the installer CD to send console output to a VGA console.
The sarge install CD supports -flags 1 for console=ttyS0, and -flags 2 for
console=ttyS1.  If "serial 2" refers to ttyS2, you'd need to specify the
full list of kernel parameters when booting, e.g.:

boot DVA0 -fl "boot/linux root=/dev/ram initrd=boot/root.bin ramdisk_size=16384 console=ttyS2"

Not sure if that works, some models of alphas do have limits on the length
of the boot_flags variable.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer