Re: HPaq cxx trouble

This is using the URL from packages.debian.org:

thetaphi@alpha:~$ wget http://www.support.compaq.com/alpha-tools/
--21:20:13--  http://www.support.compaq.com/alpha-tools/
           => `index.html'
Auflösen des Hostnamen »www.support.compaq.com«.... 192.208.35.3
Verbindungsaufbau zu www.support.compaq.com[192.208.35.3]:80... verbunden.
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 404 Not Found
21:20:13 FEHLER 404: Not Found.

I think this is correct: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/software/alpha-tools/

At 20:53 22.04.2005, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 00:23 -0700, Phil Carmody wrote:
> --- Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> > Hi Adam,
> >
> > have seen the new ccc package in unstable. I am waiting for testing. The
> > only thing that makes the user think it does not work: the link in the
> > package description is invalid. If the download link in the package
> > installer is also invalid you have a problem if you do not know where the
> > compaq cc rpm can be found.
>
> I've certainly hit that more than once in the past, it certainly is an
> annoyance.
> Is is possible to have the link in the package simply a stable .debian.org (or > anyone else who can guarantee some kind of stability) URI which redirects to
> whatever is the correct current hp/compaq address for the rpms?
>
> It requires a small amount of additional admin overhead, but the
> user-friendliness increase would far outweigh that.

That's not a bad idea, since HPaq keeps changing the URL (though I'm
pretty sure the current one in ccc is right).

I've also tried working through a few channels at HPaq to get permission
to distribute the libs and (encrypted) compilers, but everyone I've
worked with has run into administrative brick walls. :-(

I'll look into getting a people.d.o site and work through that.

Cheers,

-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html