Re: HPaq cxx trouble

Hi Adam,

have seen the new ccc package in unstable. I am waiting for testing. The only thing that makes the user think it does not work: the link in the package description is invalid. If the download link in the package installer is also invalid you have a problem if you do not know where the compaq cc rpm can be found.

Uwe

At 22:49 21.04.2005, you wrote:
On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 12:55 +0100, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > retitle 175604 cxx's "compaq" mangling style not supported by binutils
> > severity 175604 grave
> > thanks
> >
> > At some point in the past two years, binutils has stopped supporting the
> > "compaq" C++ name mangling style.  Therefore, cxx cannot be installed,
> > and cannot function once installed; this applies to 6.3.9.7-1 currently
> > in testing and my attempt to update to 6.5.9.31.
> >
> > Does anyone know how this might be fixed?  I guess an approach is to get
> > an old binutils which worked and try to generate a patch, but I've no
> > idea what's involved there...
>
> I don't know if there is something to fix. If GCC's C++ mangling
> changed, it changed for a reason (not accidentally). This means that
> CXX's days may be over.

Oh.  The error message made me think that "compaq" might be one of many
mangling styles supported, but it seems not.  Oh well, RIP CXX. :-(

The good news: the CCC .deb now works again (in unstable, will be in
testing by the end of next week).

-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html