booting from CD on Alphastation 255

We've got an old Alphastation 255 and wanted to install Debian on it. I
downloaded rc3 of the new installer and burnt it to CD. Trouble is that
it doesn't automatically boot from the CD. When I turn the machine on,
it goes straight into OpenVMS. I can see the boot command on the console
but it never stops with a prompt. Is there some key combination I need
to prevent it booting from the hard disc?

Thanks

Oliver