Re: No more Debian/Alpha?

On 14 Mar 2005, at 2:27 pm, Falk Hueffner wrote:

Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@ftbfs.de> writes:

Hi Dan,

On Monday, 14 Mar 2005, you wrote:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/03/msg00012.html

Alpha will become SCC and will be availible via scc.d.o.

In fact, there isn't even a reason why it couldn't become a fully
supported architecture, except that there is only one buildd
currently. Unfortunately, it is not clear what would need to happen to
change that.

I have offered to create and host buildd's on this list at least twice before, and no-one has responded with pointers as to how to go about . We have a lot of Alpha kit here, and could easily provide at least one, and possibly more, buildd's of considerable power (possibly even something as large as an ES40). Especially if it means the difference between keeping it as a supported architecture and losing it.

What sort of machine is the current buildd?

All someone needs to do is point me at the right people to co-ordinate with, and a set of instructions.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute