Re: AlphaServer DS25 failure

Jay,

Is there a way for me, as an end user, to influence this? I played around with different boot flags at the SRM console, and could get into the aboot menu to see the different kernels options, but they all appear to load the same kernel.

Could you put a kernel that works on non-MILO machines into one of the aboot slots? Or will there be different netinst boot isos?

FYI, I grabbed the Compaq-released version of Redhat 7.2, and it booted and installed just fine.

        - Brian

At 10:49 AM 8/6/2004 -0400, Jay Estabrook wrote:
On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 03:42:04PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:54:18PM -0700, Brian Carnes wrote:
> > Saw your request for testing on alphalinux.org.
>
> > I got the following, when booting with a CD from sarge-alpha-netinst.iso
> > (beta4): it gives the following upon boot:
>
> >   aboot: Can't load kernel.
> > Memory at fffffc0000310000 - fffffc0000562ccb (chunk 0) is Busy (Reserved)
>
> > I didn't see anything about this in the errata, so I won't bother to try
> > burning a daily build unless you think there's a chance this had been fixed.
>
> > For comparison:
> >   Trying to boot an old Redhat 7.1 Alpha CD doesn't work either (loads
> > initrd gets to "aboot: starting kernel ..." and hangs)
>
> > It boots the Tru64 system off the HD just fine though...
>
> You may want to ask on the debian-alpha mailing list about this.  This
> certainly doesn't look like an installer-specific bug; it's bound to be
> a problem with one of the bootloader, the kernel, or your hardware
> configuration.

DS25 requires a kernel that is NOT compiled with the
LEGACY_START_ADDRESS=y configuration option.

Other machines with requirements like DS25 are: DS15, DS45, ES47.

IIRC, it's only the MILO-based machines that require LEGACY_START_ADDRESS.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com
\