164LX, Scsi DIsk, and IDE CDROM Help?

I have just put 3.0r2 on a 164lx. I used an ide cdrom to load the beast but now find I am unable to see the ide cdrom drive properly.

I have a minimal system build, am able to pull in some packages via apt-get, after editting the source file (deleted the cdrom, using ftp as the source).

BUT - I went and burned 7 iso cds that ae all good, and am apparenlty doing something wrong in configuring the system to hande the ide cdrom.

Any hints on how to fix this?
thanks
bob
--
"Only the paranoid survive..." Andy Grove