Re: acrobat reader

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:48:35PM +1100, Michael Lake wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> >The Acrobat Reader software has serious security problems that Adobe has
> >expressed a lack of interest in correcting.  It's recommended that you
> >use xpdf instead, and report any bugs to the very responsive maintainer.

> Can you provide some links/refs or brief description of the security
> problems? What are they? I understand that PostScript can contain virii
> as its a full programming language but PDF is less that that. What can
> it do thats nasty?

A little googling turned up this reference to the Irix security advisory
for the problem:

  http://www.auscert.org.au/render.html?it=2311&cid=1

At the time, attempts to persuade Adobe to release a fixed version of
the software for Linux failed, and the license is sufficiently non-free
that we couldn't fix the problem locally at the time (and can't
distribute the software at all now, in any case).

There's also http://bugs.debian.org/137997, a bug about static linking
with a buggy zlib (which may have been fixed by Adobe since).

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer