Problems with Digital Alpha XL 266

Hello,

after reading tonns of documentation I decided to ask for some help here. Im
trying to install Debian on a Digital Alpha XL 266. Everywhere I read about
it, there seems to be no problems.
Well MILO starts of fine, I get as far as to

MILO>

But here the problems begin, I made the rescue floppy since the system doesn't
want to boot of CD.
When I type

MILO>boot fd0:

I get an error

[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT]
MILO: unknown filesystem on device fd0

The disk is made with dd and I can read it in my other Linux installs.
This is not the first time im playing with alternate platforms so I don't
consider myself a newbie to this but something is very wrong here.

The XL 266 uses the ARC boot and everything there seems to be Ok since MILO
loads. If anyone has _any_ ideas where to start please inform me.

Thank you,

Mats Hellman
Finland