Re: Problems with installing Linux on a DEC1000A

Le jeu 14/08/2003 à 13:15, Jure Pecar a écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:39:29 +0200
> "Frank Frauenstein" <Frank.Frauenstein@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > maybe somebody can help me.
> > I tried to install Linux (until now only RedHat 7.1) on a DEC
> > Alpha1000A. The big problem is the Mylex Raid Controller, it is not
> > recognised by the install-routine and therefore I cannot choose a
> > partition to install Linux to.
>
> Search the archives.
>
> The problem is that linux driver needs at least 2.73 firmware, the latest
> dec shipped was 2.70. You can still find updates and software to do the
> update somewhere on the net.
>
> Then you either have to vi -b DAC.o or edit the source and recompile the
> module. Anyway, i installed the system on one of the disks in the drawer
> in front of the box, hooked up to onboard qlogic 1020.
>
> Symptopms of this driver 'fix' are usualy that all disks are pronouced as
> dead almost immediately, but the arrays work ok. If anyone has figured
> that out, i'm all ears.

Hi all,

I'am trying to install the debian on an alpha 2100 (sable), I have
problem with the Mylex controller too.

First the devices /dev/rd/c0d0 ... cxdx are not created.
Second the drivers doesn't like my card ?

I've tried Debian 3.0r1 and RedHat 7.2 from official cds...

The RedHat 7.2 seem to have the drivers, so I've done my best to build
the devices, and then load the module DAC960.o, it gives me:

<error msg>
DAC960 RAID Driver Version 2.4.11 of 11 October 2001
DAC960#0 Unable to map Controller Register Window for Controller at
DAC960#0 PCI Bus 0 device 6 Function 0 I/O Address 0x9480 PCI address
0x0
</error msg>

The building process of the raid confidg ended up with a positive
message, but how can I be sure it is working ?

I'm currently trying to crossbuild a 2.4.18 vanilla kernel to see ?

If someone has an idea or nice kernel image...

thanks, Pierre.

PS: By the way if someone as a link or can remind me how I can start my
Debian install on the CD from the built kernel...
Any help is welcome.
> --
>
> Jure Pecar
>

> --