Problems with installing Linux on a DEC1000A

Hi,
maybe somebody can help me.
I tried to install Linux (until now only RedHat 7.1) on a DEC Alpha1000A.
The big problem is the Mylex Raid Controller, it is not recognised by the
install-routine and therefore I cannot choose a partition to install Linux
to.
Is this a problem with Debian, too? Is there any solution for this problem?
Which release of Debian I should try to install on the machine....questions
over questions.
I would really be happy if somebody could help me with this.
Thanks

cu
FRANK