Re: compiling 2.4.20

On Mercredi, 9 Juillet 2003 15.35, Lars Oeschey wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2003 14:55 schrieb Falk Hueffner:
> > 2.4.20 has serious bugs on Alpha, you should rather use 2.4.19 or
> > 2.4.21.
> >
> > A bug in gcc. Which version are you using? If you're not using gcc
> > 3.3, try upgrading.
>
> I upgraded now to 3.3 since I found a similar answer somewhere on the
> net. The compile failed again somewhere else though, but I'll try
> 2.4.21 then first (the odd numbers were the stable ones?).

No, the even are the stable ones ;) But the even second numbers. So, 2.0.x is
stable, 2.2.x is stable, 2.4.x is stable and so will be 2.6.x. The 2.4.19 and
2.4.21 being stable is more like a coincidence. IIRC, I have a 2.4.20 on my
PC164...

> Do I only need the kernel-source package? I saw some kernel-header
> packages too...

kernel-source should be enough. kernel-headers are only needed if you install
the kernel-image*. If you compile from source, you automatically have the
headers...
 Do you use the debian-tool for compiling the kernel? Like make-kpkg?

Ineiti

--
Linus Gasser