Re: kdegames, lyx and xserver-xfree86

On Thursday 24 April 2003 02:37 am, Linus Gasser wrote:
> Hello,
> yesterday I had a pleasant surprise: kdegames is in unstable,
> again! What is the magic behind it? And it seems that
> lyx-1.3.1 now works for alpha, too, though I didn't test it
> yet. This is great news for somebody who uses an alpha at
> home!

The kdegames-3.1.x problem (and probably the lyx problem as well)
is/was due to a bug in binutils+gcc3 that just got fixed a week
or two ago.  I would assume that the problem has been fixed in
unstable via new binutils packages (I don't actually use debian
myself).

If updated binutils debs haven't been released, you can get the
patch for binutils source here:

http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/alpha-lfs/patches/binutils-2.13.2.1-gprel32.patch

It applies cleanly to 2.13.2.1, and, so I'm told, to the latest
HJ Lu binutils.

(This patch was contributed by Richard Henderson)

>  Now I only have xserver-xfree86/unstable who gives me errors
> on start-up, with something like
>   ELF - relocation error
> has somebody a working unstable-version of xfree86? Last time
> I tried, the xserver-xfree86/testing package worked all right.
> Is it still for the error in gzip that unstable doesn't work?
> Just curious.

This is not the error in gzip.  This is a bug in XFree86 4.2.x
(and probably earlier) when built with recent gcc (>=3.1.1
IIRC).  I've posted the relevant XFree86 patch here:

http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/alpha-lfs/patches/XFree86-4.2-gprel.patch

The bug is fixed in XFree86 4.3.0.

(This patch was contributed by Thorsten Kraznowski)

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"