mpatrol and undefined __mp_initsection

Has anyone successfully used mpatrol under Woody?

When I tried to link a simple C test programme to mpatrol using
  gcc -o test test.c -lmpatrol -lelf
I got the error message
  /usr/lib/libmpatrol.so: undefined reference to `__mp_initsection'

In the BTS I found bug #165903 from last year which reported that the
mpatrol --dynamic option does not work on Alpha because
__mp_initsection is undefined, but it seems to imply that it would
work without the --dynamic option. Does it work? Am I doing something
stupid?

- Robert