more questions

Hi,

I have several questions again, (seems unending).  I have installed deb 3.0 r1 stock out of the box.  I purchased an external modem, and when installing deb wvdial finds it and sets it up.  For some reason kppp does not install so I can't use it for internet connection.  When I run wvdial in a terminal (as root only, won't let me use it if I log on as a user) it dials the internet and hooks up.  I watch the lights, and read the dialog.  But if I try to check email or surf the web for some reason it goes to my router (I watch the lights) and never even goes to the modem (still watching modem lights)  any idea why that would happen?

One more question, when logged into kde as a user, or root I can't use the home icon.  What I mean is if I click it, the hard drive turns and nothing ever happens.  It doesn't open any program.  If I log into gnome, I can go to file explorer and it works fine.

Lastly, why didn't kppp load? I installed the dialup option.

Sorry for all the questions, I've used linux on pc's.  But it is entirely a different matter on a alpha machine.

I'm running kernel 2.2.20, on an 433au with 256M of ram

Thanks in advance,
Bob