Ethernet strangeness on EV6 kernel 2.4.20

Hello all,
	I have debian sarge with kernel 2.4.20 on a Compaq XP1000 (500Mhz
EV6 with 512MB of RAM), and the ethernet randomly "freezes" all the time,
for anywhere from 1 second to 30 seconds or so. I've tried this with three
different ethernet cards - an RTL8139, a 3c905-TX, and the original
DECChip tulip card. All exhibited exactly the same behavior. I tried
changing the ethernet cable, and plugging it into an HP 10Mbit switch
instead of the Cisco 3500XL that it's normally plugged into. Does anybody
have any clues as to why this would be? Is more information needed? Should
I report this to the kernel list instead? I can send my kernel config if
that would be useful (it's a custom kernel, as all of mine are)
Thanks!
	-Josiah