xserver problem -no screens found

I have installed Debian 3 Woody onto a Digital Server 7305, which is a story
I'll save for another time.

Does anyone know, please, why the Xserver crashes with the fatal error "no
screens found" when I correctly specified the type of card (S3 Trio) and
monitor resolutions (taken from the technical specs for the monitor).

I have just subscribed to this list and I received messages about X
immediately, so please excuse me if this is a long standing issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Simon