CIA machine checks with XFree86 4.2

Hello everyone.

I'm experiencing the following situation. I'm running Sarge on my SX,
with a Matrox Mystique 220 card and a home-made 2.4.20 kernel (plus
the grsecurity patch). When X goes up I get a CIA machine check (hard
error) in the logs.

The computer keeps working just fine (the X system functions correctly
and everything seems in good shape), but hangs after a random amount of
time, depending on the load in the system. I don't know whether these
two things are related to each other... Anyway, even when the machine
hangs, I am able to sysrq my way to a clean reboot, so it's
oh-not-so-bad (yet). The above spam appears every time I start or
restart X and only then. I have now switched to a 3.x server and get no
such errors. However, I am considering getting myself a Radeon 7500 and
I'd prefer running a 4.x server on it. I've google'd a lot for the past
few days and read a tone (or so) of newsgroups postings and have really
broadened my horizons, but got no answer to my problem.

Soooo... Has anybody out there experienced anything similar? Or, even
better, does anybody know of a way to overcome this thing?

Bye,
Nick.

--
 Nick "Noth" Ntarmos     | <ntarmos at ceid dot upatras dot gr>
 NetCINS Lab. @ C.E.I.D. | [http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~ntarmos/]