PWS500au ide problems

Im trying to get my PWS500au running a 2.4 kernel, and i'm running into
IDE problems.  All works well in 2.2, the cdrom works (its an ide cdrom,
who would have thought?), and the additional 60gig drive that i put in
there works well (albeit slow).  But when i try to boot 2.4.20 i get
error about irqs not responding and weird stuff.   What i tried is
putting in my promise ata100 controller in there and putting the
harddrive on that and unplugging the cdrom.  Well i wasnt able to unplug
the cdrom, so i was still getting the "hdb: irq timeout" (or something
like that).  I'd get about 6 of those in a row before it would just go
on its way again.  But it wasnt able to be so nice with the hd.  Even
when on the promise controller i'd get errors, but stuff like CRCerrors
and much more scary ones.  Is there something i should know about PWS
and IDE?  I can run 2.2 for a while, but i wanna get 2.4 and
iptables/netfilter going on this box.

Thanks

Richard Fillion
rick@rhix.ods.org