Re: the following packages have been held back?

søn, 2003-03-23 kl. 21:24 skrev Peter Watkinson:
> Hi there,
>
> when i do an apt-get upgrade I sometimes get the following message
>
> the following packages have been held back
>
> and a list of packages
>
> for instance this time kde-base
>
> what does this mean and why does it happen?

Try doing:

apt-get install kdebase

It usually gives an explanation why it couldn't be installed. It usually
has to do with unsatisfiable dependencies or the upgrade would require
removing installed packages which is something the upgrade operation
won't do. dist-upgrade can remove installed packages but it requires
more attention as it will happily remove half your installed packages to
satisfy a dependency.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Jens