Re: Sound on Miata 433

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:01:43PM -0500, Ron Murray wrote:
>    I have a Miata (pws 433u) running sarge, which works well except
> for sound. The sound chip is apparently an ES1888 on 0x220, irq5, dma
> 1 & 5.
>
>    I could never get OSS sound running on it, but I'd rather get ALSA
> working anyway. I can get ALSA running with the sb8 driver -- but
> that's only 8-bit, of course. The correct driver should be es18xx, but
> earlier versions of ALSA wouldn't load that module, claiming that the
> opl3 port wasn't at 0x220. The current (sarge?) version of
> alsa-drivers does load the es18xx module, but pcm doesn't work when I
> try it (saytime gives out one syllable, then hangs). (Actually, the
> sb8 module in the current alsa-modules doesn't work either, but that's
> another story).
>
>    Has anyone successfully got 16-bit sound going on one of these
> boxes?

Hey, this question hasn't come up for nearly 3 months now :-)

I've never tried ALSA but OSS works fine on my pws433. I have the following
in /etc/modutils/sound (which was copied from this list and then reposted to it
at least once).

options sb esstype=1868 io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x320
post-install sb /usr/bin/aumix -L
alias sound-slot-0 sb
alias sound-service-0-3 sb
alias sound sb