debian + dec pws 433a

Hi folks,

I've been digging through the list archives to see if maybe this was covered
already, and it would appear that someone else had the problem, but I
couldn't find the resolution (maybe someone answered the question off-list?)

I have a PWS 433a, which I run in SRM mode.
The specs are this:
433MHz, 256MB RAM, 4GB /dev/hdc , Toshiba 12x /dev/hdb, Matrox Millinium

Now, debian installs flawlessly (I created the 1 cyl empty partition at the
begining for aboot), but on bootup it just sits for a minute, then the
monitor goes offline, and it just sits there.

There's no other activity that I can tell, except that the hard disk light
blinks a bit.. stays on for a bit, blinks a bit more.. it will do this
indefinately.  I suspect theres nothing going on with the hard disk light
except maybe it thinks it will find a /dev/hda device.

If I put the IDE hard disk on the first channel and make it hda, then the
cdrom goes away. (I've put the cdrom on channel b, made it cable select,
jumpered as slave, and jumpered as master on the secondary channel).

If I can make this work on the little 4 gig.. I;d like to drop a bigger disk
in and make this my primary workstation.

Does the disk drive HAVE to be primary master in order to work?