Multia Install problems

I've been having difficulties installing debian onto my multia through
SRM.  I'm completely new to alpha, arc & srm, so please forgive my
ignorance if I leave anything out.

I've got the machine doing a tftp install & console over serial to an
external scsi disk (Kid I got it from had redhat booting from arc) All
goes well until the end, when aboot bombs with this output:

	  aboot wasn't able to install.  Most likely this is because  |
        | your first partition overlaps the area where aboot was to   |
        | be written. Either repartition your disk and try again, or  |
        | boot the system using the rescue boot method and install    |
        | aboot manually.

In my readings along the way, I cam across suggestions that said I might
need some extra room at the beginning of the disk & one that said I needed
to create a disk label the size of the disk, similar to sparc.  Neither
and both seemed to make a difference.  Here's the partitioning scheme I
ended up with in the end:

# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 66 heads, 62 sectors, 1017 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4092 * 512 bytes

3 partitions:
#       start       end      size     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:        1       129       129     unused        0     0
  b:      130      2033      1904       swap
  c:        1      2033      2033       ext2
#

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA,
-Mark