Re: booting challenges with lx164

Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
Hello,
On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 02:56:29PM -0500, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

a friend of mine gave me an lx164 and now I'm trying to make it run Debian. I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest arc (5.7) version. I can run milo off of the first Debian CD but I can't get the boot command right. My starting place is:

I *strongly* recommend switching to SRM, especially if this is a clean
install. If it doesn't detect your SCSI device or your graphics card
you will have to switch back to ARC, but chance are good that you can
stay with SRM which is much more flexible.

a friend of mine who knows Alphas quite intimately convinced me to make the change. Now I need to get a new SCSI card since I have a 2940au. fortunately, another friend has one I can use in his junk box and will take a swap. This is truly fortunate indeed since he usually gives me stuff from his junk box on condition that I never return it to him.

Check the archives how to change consoles. Then the install should be
pretty painless.

it's been a challenge. I've found many instructions that just don't work but fortunately I found some that do. Now it's swapped, giving me that lovely DEC blue screen and ignoring my SCSI card. more stuff for the weekend.

thank you all for the help.