cluster of PW433au's

With all of our layoffs, be have an abundance of spare Digital PW433au's.
I have convinced my boss to loan a pair to the local university, Indiana
Institute of Technology (IIT) where I teach.  It will be a student led
project to get a single Master & Slave cluster going.  If they can do this,
they get more.  Probably a maximum of 10 nodes with primary and secondary
masters.

Unfortunatley, I am extremely interested in this but have not had time to
participate or help with research.  They basically need 2 things.
Suggestions/advice on configuration and management tools, and
suggestions/advice on what to do with it when it's finished.  Right now,
they're thinking of letting it be used by SETI.

The other issue - which distro.  I gave them copies of RH7.2 when I gave
them the hardware.  But the student who is leading it wants to use Debian.
Does anyone have experience to say which would be better interms of the
clustering software available?  I've read great things about Scyld's
cluster software, but it looks like it's only x86 and I couldn't find the
source to download.  Right now I'm reading the references on www.lcic.org.

Thanks in advance.
----
Terry Bowling