Re: Alphas worth saving?

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 07:08:24PM -0600, Mitch Thompson wrote:

> I have a chance to pick up some Alphastation's at work which are going to be
> thrown out.  There are some Alphastation 500/266 MHz, an Alphaserver 600
> 5/300, and a PE50A-A9.
>
> So, where do these stand in the Alpha pantheon?  I currenly have two
> Multia/UDB with 233 MHz CPUs.

Well, the AS500/266 (aka Maverick) has a 266MHZ EV5 CPU, and the AS600
5/300 (aka Alcor) has, as expected by the model number, an EV5 CPU at
300MHZ. Both of these would be *significant* upgrades from a UDB of
*any* flavor... :-)

IIRC, the Maverick takes EDO SIMM memory, which is hard to find, while
the Alcor takes more normal SIMMs, and has a great many more slots for
it.

The PE50A-A9 is a Flamingo; that means TurboChannel and probably a
150MHz EV4 CPU. But, it has no support, AFAIK, though there was
someone working on it...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com