Re: Disks for 5300 ?

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 02:44:36PM +0000, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> I have a Digital 5300-6533A shipped with NT but now running
> Debian;it runs nicely but has only a single 9.1GB disk, which
> is looking rather small by today's standards.
>
> It seems like a good idea to keep an eye out for some spare
> disks on the surplus market, but I'm not familiar with the
> variant of SCSI that this uses. The drive is numbered
> FR-CFCBA-CA and RZ1DB-VH, and some Googling indicates
> that this is probably an SCA drive in a StorageWorks
> module but I don't really know what that means ..

SCA is the connector what most of the big driver today use. It's bigger
than the mini 68-pin, but smaller than the big 50-pin of the original
SCSI drives. It is keyed. There are adapters to convert from SCA to
68-pin, but are not cheap (though compared to the cost of a big SCSI
drive, it would get lost in the noise).

Many of our newest platforms (Alpha and Intel-based) and storage
shelves use SCA drives directly (no adapter required).

> Can anyone explain what I should look out for, and what
> will & won't work with moderate bodging ? I've seen a
> somewhat similar module (RZ29B-VW in a green case) fairly
> cheap but don't know if it would work.

RZ29B-VW is a 4GB drive, and would work in the 5300 builtin shelf.

> I've got no budget for maintaining this machine - it
> belongs to my employer, but I more or less saved it from
> the skip and I suspect it will be mine next time we're
> short of space.

Best option would be to find a "modern" external shelf setup.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com