Re: LX164 -IDE problems - thanks

T. Weyergraf wrote:

Since IDE drives of large capacity are cheap nowadays, i'd
like to use them in the NFS-server. For that, I plan on using
a PCI IDE-controller to attach the drives to. Performance is
not paramount here, but I'd like to go for an optimum.
RAID is not necessary, there will most likely be only two drives,
being backup'd via network

Just curious, why the extra controller? My experience is that even an Abit BP6 with two 466 MHz Celerons and software RAID0 and 5 gives great NFS performance, even with public Debian and kernel mirrors. (I'm pretty sure it saturates 100 mb ethernet with NFS, because Debian upgrades via NFS on machines across the same switch are very much faster than on machines in another room across MITnet with a 10 mb drop.) I've never seen any reason to put in an extra controller -- unless you plan to put in more than 4 IDE devices.

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>