Re: new install

Joakim Roubert wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Donald Spoon wrote:

1. The ext3 option is offered at install time on the 2.4.18-bf4 kernels, but I don't think it is offered on the 2.2.XX kernels.

Ok, perfect.

One word of caution on this point. After reading Falk's reply, I cannot say with absoulte certainty that you will be offered the option to create an ext3 FS during the initial install. You will be able to create it AFTER the install for certain, since that is what I did. To be brutally honest, I have never done a complete install on the Alpha using the 2.4.18-bf4 kernel floppy set. I could never get by the initial kernel boot with that kernel on my machine. I know it is there in the i386 installer, but am not sure about the floppies for the Alpha. I would go with Falk's view, since he was instrumental in getting the Woody boot floppies for the Alpha and knows MUCH more than I!

Bottom line is go with the 2.4.XX kernels and you will be sure to be able to get ext3 somewhere along the line.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-