Re: RAM for PC164LX

At 11:41 20/01/2003, Kelledin sent this up the stick:
On Sunday 19 January 2003 05:49 pm, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an AlphaPC 164LX system with 256MB RAM that I'm wanting
> to expand to 512MB.  I have tried to find out, on various
> Internet sites, just what kind of RAM I need, and have found
> only conflicting information.  Indeed, popping in a standard
> PC133 DIMM from another PC was totally unrecognized by the
> Alpha.
>
> Certain sites seem to indicate that the 164LX uses proprietary
> RAM, and off-the-shelf stuff will not work.  Others say that
> off-the-shelf stuff WILL work, if chosen correctly.  Can
> anyone help me out?

My 164LX came with 512MB already (more than enough for me atm),
but i have a friend who has done the upgrade.  He dropped in
four 256MB sticks from http://www.crucial.com that fit the
specs, and they all work fine.  I'll see if I can get the exact
model number from him, so you can buy with that warm fuzzy
feeling of knowing it will work. ;)

The RAM selector at the website has the details for most DEC/Compaq/HP Alphas :)

cheers,
Rob

--
What poor gods we do make.

This is random quote 1189 of a collection of 1273

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe:
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5