Re: Error in getmail after an upgrade

Emile van Bergen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 01:56:20PM +1100, Mike Lake wrote:
> > Last night I did an apt-get upgrade after about two weeks of no
> > upgrading and getmail has now failed. It worked OK the night before
> > getmail - POP3 mail retriever with reliable Maildir and mbox delivery.
> > getmail version 2.3.7
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
.... bits snipped
> > self.users.append ( {'re' : re.compile (re_s,
> > re.IGNORECASE),
> > File "/usr/lib/python2.1/sre.py", line 90, in
> > compile
etc...

> >From the looks of it (I'm in no way knowledgeable about python, so I may
> be completely wrong) it seems to be compiling a regular expression
> (re.compile(re_s, re.IGNORECASE). It's possible that you hit a bug in
> glibc's regexp code, which also showed up in mutt a few days ago; see
> the archives.

OK. Thanks Emile. Adds up that its not getmail as I tried the latest tar
of getmail and the same prob occurs so the problem is probably in some
debian lib. Shucks :-(

> No idea how to work around that though, other than by downgrading glibc.
I will stay with the current glibc and hope a patch appears soon.

How by the way do I tell the history of what was upgraded. That is how
can I tell what was updraded rather than writing down what flashes
before me during apt-get upgrade or by teeing off the output to a file?
Is there an apt-something ?

Michael Lake
Active caver, Linux enthusiast and interested in anything technical.