How to install new kernel

Hi list,

I am new to Debian on Alpha (just switched over from FreeBSD). I went
through the installation successfully. Now I compiled linux 2.4.20 from
the source package. make dep, make, make modules and make
modules_install were all successfull, but make install answers:
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

So, how do I get my kernel installed and booted?

Machine is PWS 500a, I boot from SRM and IDE (works good now with
2.2.20).

TIA,

Jan Lentfer
--