Re: Alphastation 500/333 SCSI problems....

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 07:56:32PM -0500, Thomas Evans wrote:

> I just "upgraded" on of my multias to an Alphstation 500/333.

That's a significant improvement, eh? :-)

> One of the drives I migrated,
>
>   Vendor: IBM-PSG   Model: DRHS36D       !#  Rev: 0272
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 03
> Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
>
> Is having all sorts of problems in this machine - the SCSI
> bus is constantly being reset and errors delivered.

What else is (still) on the bus with the IBM after removing the DAT?
If there is a CD, move that onto the 2906 bus and see if that makes
a difference.

> This usually happens when attempting to back up from
> tape (I usualyl use dump, but it has also failed
> with tar)- originally I thought it might be because the
> ISP1020 driver doesn't handle disconnects/reconnects
> (I saw messages in the log and some vague references
> to it in various archives).

Correct; if you must use the QLogic with both HDDs and CD/DAT on the
same cable, we recommend switching to the "feral" ISP driver, found
at:
	www.feral.com

It is *much* better at handling tricky termination issues, along with
the connect/disconnect situations.

> I added an inexpensive AHA-2906 and attached my DAT to
> that - the messages relating to that device are gone.

But still getting the IBM HDD-related ones?

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com