Re: using ttf fonts crashes X

On 2002.11.20 07:37 Falk Hueffner wrote:
Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@debian.org> writes:

> I've faced the problem described in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2002/debian-alpha-200208/msg00056.html
> on woody.
>
> Is it known to be solved in X 4.2, which are in unstable?

I think it is worked around there by using different compiler flags,
but I'm not sure. How can I test it?

Hi, I'm the guy who originally reported this problem.

This bug is *not* fixed in X 4.2. There is no easy way to automatically compile the offending code with optimization turned off, without turning off optimization for the entire X server (which would be a disaster).

X 4.3 *may* fix the problem since it has switched to FreeType 2, but our best hope is for a speedy gcc 3.2 transition. Gcc 3.2 does not have the bug that causes this problem.

-Doug