Re: Repost: Installing Debian on a (possibly flaky) AlphaServer 1000A?

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:08:27PM -0500, Rice, Gregg M. wrote:

> My department has an AlphaServer 1000A 5/300 pedestal system (128M
> memory, 6G of disk) on which I'd like to install Debian. It has been
> used by others for quite a while (running NT), and just recently
> arrived in our office. It has a video card in addition to the VGA
> port on the motherboard, and when I originally turned it on the card
> sent out a video signal but not the motherboard's VGA port. It
> typically starts up OK, but has occasionally stopped with the
> message "srom v1.0 f4" displayed on the control panel.

Apparently, F4 is the indicator for a "Bcache data path error",
usually associated with the CPU daightercard. Try reseating this
card, it may help...

> It runs AlphaBIOS 5.28, and when I attempted to switch from this to
> SRM (as suggested in of the Debian Alpha FAQs), after the restart I
> get no video from either VGA port (flying blind ...).

It's possible that the SRM console doesn't work with the add-in VGA card.

To re-enable the builtin VGA, first remove the add-in, then change the
jumper in the top left corner of the motherboard.

But first, you also may try to solve this by updating the SRM console;
a newer version may work with the add-in VGA. I think it's possible to
update SRM even though you are running AlphaBIOS.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com